Saturday, August 2, 2014

An Untold Story


Maya Angelou's death earlier this year affected me in an completely unexpected way.

The days and weeks that followed were a bombardment of Angelou quotes, adages and poetry recitings all over social media. It made me equally grateful for Ms. Angelou's example and wisdom shared with this world; and mournful that there would be no new tales for her to tell.

Most of all it challenged me as a woman to leave some kind of profound mark on this world. 

My reputation in life has been a strange one. I'm a 39 year-old woman whose never married. Partially by choice and partially by lack of reciprocated interest on the part of the men who've passed through my life. I've never had children of my own, but have spent the last decade of my life immersed in the world of my eight nieces and nephews. I have been a part of the full-time working world since graduating high school, never having pursued a formal college education.

It doesn't all seem that rare to me, it's just my life and how things unfolded. But, for some reason this status causes quite a stir in social circles. 

Of course, the first questions one's asked in any introductory conversation are, "Where did you go to school?", "What does your husband do?" and "How many kids do you have?"

When your answer to all of the above is a buzzer, three strikes and you're out! You're no longer interesting.

Well, honey, I tell you, I am still interesting. Even if I don't fit into your mold!  Womanhood is not solely about motherhood and wifehood and stepping stones in a grand career. It's taking what the good Lord gave you and doing what you can with it to leave your own unique impression on the world.

In the last few months since Maya Angelou's death, I've been reading her memoirs in chronological order. And, you know, this most famous of woman didn't exactly fit into the typical mold herself. And, maybe that's what has made her so intriguing to her thousands (perhaps millions) of readers world-wide.

Phenomenal womanhood has never been about being perfect. Perfection is dull and who needs it! Phenomenal is defined as being remarkable and extraordinary. And, extraordinary doesn't fit into any type of mold imaginable.

My Maya quote for today is "There is no greater agony than bearing an untold story inside you." and this new blog is about being you and not being afraid to unleash your story on this world.

If you don't fit into the mold, come along with me on this journey. If you're trying desperately to cram into that mold, lighten up and ride along with us too. Life is too short to waste so much energy on unattainable perfection.

The structure I want to take with this blog is to have each post focused on a popular quote, be it Maya or any other quotable woman from history (maybe we'll let the men in somewhere too.)

As women, I want to encourage us to support one anothers' stories without judgment. Find a safe place to tell yours and be a good and trusted listener to those who confide in you with theirs.

I'm not sure exactly where this blog will take us. But, dammit, it's going somewhere, so buckle up 'cause here it goes! 

No comments:

Post a Comment